Broad Street Cemetery
Located at the southeast corner of the intersection of Broad and Winthrop Streets.
Beneath a small, white obelisk lie the remains of George and Jonathan Corwin, together with other members of that extensive family. George, who was only twenty-five at the time of the hysteria, served as the high sheriff of Essex County in 1692. In this capacity he directed the confiscation of property from those convicted of witchcraft and carried out the death sentences of the nineteen who were hanged and of Giles Corey who was pressed to death for refusing to stand trial. George's funeral in 1697 was delayed by Philip English, who sought to recoup some of the fortune Corwin had seized from him in 1692 when English stood accused of witchcraft.
Jonathan Corwin, a Salem merchant and the owner of the still-standing "Witch House," served as a magistrate at many of the examinations and later as a justice of the Court of Oyer and Terminer. He died on 9 June 1718, aged seventy-eight years.